Request Free Consultation

Anyone, even government employees, can unintentionally cause an accident that injures people. Government agencies may also cause accidents resulting in injuries. As with any accident, injured victims deserve compensation for their damages.

However, accident claims with any kind of government involvement are subject to strict and exacting guidelines and timeframes. For instance, you must deliver a properly prepared notice of claim to appropriate parties within a short time. If you fail to meet any of the set guidelines, you can lose the opportunity to obtain damages.

This is why many people injured in accidents turn to competent public transportation accident attorneys like Sargon Law Group for assistance. Skilled lawyers are well aware of how to obtain compensation in personal injury cases, even those involving the government.

What Is a Notice of Claim?

What is a notice of claim?

If a government agency or employee injures you, you may qualify to obtain compensation. Your claim may name state employees or agencies as defendants, or you may need to subpoena them to provide documents that support your case. You can’t pursue or enforce these claims unless certain documents are properly prepared and delivered.

Basically, the state of Arizona won’t allow you to sue it without permission. Filing a notice of claim is asking for permission.

This notice must state:

  • All persons included in the claim
  • Background facts and information to support the claim
  • The reason(s) you believe the person(s) or government agency is liable for causing your injuries
  • The nature and scope of your injuries
  • The amount of compensation you expect
  • Supporting evidence for the compensation you request

Further regulations state that you must properly deliver this notice within 180 days after your accident in Arizona. Time frames in other states vary.

The named employee or agency has 60 days to respond. If you don’t receive a response within that time, consider it automatically denied. If you’re unsure which person or agency caused your injury, ask your attorney for advice. You may need to file a notice of claim with several to protect your right to compensation.

What Are Examples of Personal Injury Claims Against Government Entities?

You might trip on broken concrete on a public sidewalk, be hit by a city bus, get sick from drinking the water from a public park fountain, be involved in a car accident caused by an unrepaired pothole, or slip and fall in a government office building. If any of these or other types of accidents cause injuries, you can possibly file a claim and lawsuit against the responsible agency or person.

Consult a knowledgeable attorney from Sargon Law Group to find out if your accident and injuries qualify. They’ll help you prepare your claim and recover satisfactory compensation from those responsible.

How Can You File a Notice of Claim?

You must speak directly to the person you are seeking action against when you file a notice of claim.

You don’t file your notice with a court. To satisfy state requirements, you must deliver it to the “person or persons authorized to accept service for the public entity or public employee as set forth in the Arizona Rules of Civil Procedure.” Further, a sheriff, deputy sheriff, or registered process server must deliver the notice.

You can’t just mail your notice, not even with certified mail. Also, you must deliver it to the right person. Failure to do so can void your claim.

What Other Guidelines Must You Follow?

If you properly file a notice of claim within 180 days of your accident and it is subsequently denied, you have only one year from the date of your accident and injury to file a personal injury lawsuit. Both of these timeframes are significantly shorter than those for filing personal injury claims and suits when there’s no governmental involvement.

You can contact Sargon Law Group to talk to an attorney about all the hoops the government forces you to jump through in order to obtain compensation.

Why Should You Hire an Attorney To File Your Notice of Claim?

Should you hire a lawyer to help you file a notice of claim?

As you can see, personal injury claims and suits involving government agencies or employees are complicated, even before proceeding with the “normal” aspects. If you don’t cross all the t’s and dot every i, you will likely forfeit your right to compensation. Worst of all, you only have a short time to fully prepare your case and submit a notice of claim.

After an accident, injured victims need to focus on recovery. You probably need help with daily activities and may not be able to satisfy the strict requirements of a claim involving the government. An experienced attorney can help:

  • Investigate your accident
  • Obtain medical records and evidence to support your claim
  • Accurately estimate the amount of compensation your case is worth
  • Properly prepare and file your notice

Remember, though, that you need to give your attorney sufficient time to complete these steps. If you wait until close to the 180-day deadline, a lawyer may be unable to help you. Contacting MDK Law Group soon after your accident gives your attorney more time to prepare your claim, and it also provides you with other benefits. Your lawyer can:

  • Provide legal information and advice
  • Assist with all paperwork, including a notice of claim
  • Serve as your spokesperson
  • Treat you with respect
  • Work hard to obtain maximum compensation for you, filing a lawsuit if necessary

Do You Need To File a Notice of Claim?

The award-winning Sargon Law Group, located in Phoenix, AZ, can help you with your personal injury claim, whether it involves a government agency or another situation. Our firm focuses on assisting victims of accident injuries in Maricopa County recover maximum compensation for their damages. While any attorney can represent you, don’t you want someone who is intimately familiar with all the laws, procedures, and regulations surrounding personal injury law?

When you choose Sargon Law Group, you won’t pay unless we successfully help you obtain compensation. Our team of Phoenix injury attorneys are available 24/7 for client questions and free consultations. Contact us today to learn more about how Sargon Law Group can help you file a notice of claim and recover damages. Call or request your free consultation online.