Ridesharing is a common practice in every city in the country, and Lyft is a leading company with drivers nationwide. When a Lyft driver takes to the road, they owe the same duty of care to other drivers as everyone else, meaning they have a responsibility to ensure the safety of everyone on the road. If you suffered injuries in an accident involving a ridesharing vehicle, a Lyft accident lawyer can help you understand the routes you can use to pursue compensation for your losses.
How Does a Lyft Accident Lawyer Determine Liability?
Arizona has a fault-based policy for auto accident claims. Therefore, when a collision occurs, the injured party carries the burden of proof, and the first step in filing a claim is to determine who is responsible for the accident. Ultimately, the party who violated a traffic law, causing the collision, is typically liable for damages, and the rules are the same for a Lyft driver.
Proving fault in an auto accident case means establishing that the negligent driver owed you a duty of care and violated it, causing the accident that resulted in your injuries. What differentiates liability in a standard auto accident from liability in an accident involving a rideshare vehicle is determining what insurance company is responsible for damages. A Lyft accident lawyer will first investigate how active the driver was on the app when the crash occurred.
When To File With Lyft’s Corporate Insurance
Lyft drivers must provide proof of all state-mandated insurance minimums in Arizona before signing up as a driver. Lyft then provides coverage for drivers and passengers at varying levels as long as the driver is active. The levels of activity and coverage include:
- Inactive app: If the driver hits your vehicle while the app is off, you will file your claim with their personal insurance policy.
- Active and waiting for a ride request: While the driver is actively signed into the app and awaiting a ride, Lyft covers $50,000 per person and $100,000 per accident for personal injury and $25,000 for property damage if their driver is at fault.
- En route or during a ride: Once the driver accepts a ride and is either on their way to pick up the passenger or is carrying a passenger, Lyft insurance covers $1 million in third-party liability, first-party coverage for personal injury, and contingent comprehensive coverage with a $2,500 deductible for property damage.
One of the first things your attorney will do is investigate the accident to determine the level of activity the Lyft driver maintained when the collision occurred. Then they will identify the damages available. And, they will confirm available coverages, which can vary by state, to determine how to put you in the best.
How Can a Lyft Accident Lawyer Help You Value Your Claim?
When you hire an attorney for an auto accident case, they will draft a demand letter to send to the insurance company naming all the losses you incurred due to the defendant’s negligent actions. Those losses, known under tort law as damages, create value for your claim. More severe accidents typically have more substantial losses, and one of the benefits of having a legal representative is their experience with identifying the losses you can recover and the proof necessary to negotiate.
Identifying Economic Damages
The compensatory damages available in most auto accident cases include economic and non-economic losses. Examples of financial losses include:
- The cost of medical care, including current and ongoing treatments
- The lost wages resulting from missed work or a lost capacity to continue the job you had before the accident.
- The cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle and other damaged property
- Other related expenses, such as help with household duties and childcare
A Lyft accident lawyer will help you gather the evidence necessary to prove these claims, such as your medical bills, pay stubs, and all relevant receipts and estimates.
Identifying Non-Economic Damages
Non-economic damages cover the psychological impact of the accident and are more prevalent in severe cases. Examples include the physical pain and suffering you endure from your injuries and necessary medical treatments. In addition, victims of car accidents often deal with emotional distress, such as anxiety, depression, or post-traumatic stress, sometimes to the point of significant interference in their daily lives.
Arizona’s tort law allows you to assign a monetary value to these losses. The process is sometimes complex, but an experienced attorney knows how to use precedent and the correct method to ensure you receive adequate compensation for the mental anguish you suffered because of someone else’s carelessness.
What Advantages Does a Lyft Accident Lawyer Provide?
Personal injury attorneys typically handle a variety of tort cases, including everything from medical malpractice and product liability to dog attacks and slip-and-fall accidents. However, the most common type of personal injury case involves victims of negligent drivers. A qualified personal injury lawyer will provide the following:
- Investigative skills that allow them to identify negligence and damages
- Negotiation skills they will use to argue for fair compensation during the claims process and in talks with the insurance company
- Access to resources that can boost your claim, including auto reconstruction experts and mental health professionals
- Relief from the tedious and sometimes overwhelming paperwork you must complete, sometimes before the statute of limitations runs out in Arizona
In addition to all the professional skills personal injury lawyers provide, they also understand the physical, mental, and financial strain a devastating auto accident can cause the victims. Most work on contingency to ensure you have access to legal representation without the added burden of upfront legal fees. The first step toward financial recovery is contacting an attorney in Maricopa County.
When Should You Contact a Lyft Accident Lawyer for Your Claim?
Auto accidents can become increasingly complex for several reasons. Without legal representation, you risk undervaluing your losses or battling a combative insurance adjuster alone. No time is too soon to schedule a free consultation and discuss the details of your case with an experienced attorney. They can guide you through the legal process and help you recover the compensation you need to restore your life or adapt to a new one.
If you have questions regarding a car accident involving a Lyft driver, contact Sargon Law Group and speak with a Lyft accident lawyer today.